Written by Jenny Cayo

Today, our last day, was extremely bittersweet. We’ve all had such a great and blessed time on this trip that it stings a little to leave. However, it also feels great to know that we are coming home to family and friends that we can tell all of our stories to.

I have had the privilege to travel to every site during the past two weeks, taking photos and shooting video. Each site had something different to offer to the people here, but each site gave their all and loved everybody that came to them. The Boy’s Club allowed boys to be boys, and the students played games with them and shared their testimonies. Healthcare organized medicine, took blood pressure, and helped Dr. Celia operate a low-cost clinic for people who can’t afford medicine. Microfinance helped young ladies learn skills to make things to sell in their businesses, which allowed these ladies to make a living for themselves. The soccer camp students invested in kids lives by teaching them drills and sharing their testimonies. Social work engaged young women in crafts and a little pampering, empowering these women to feel good about themselves.

Tonight, our activity held the title Remember and Celebrate. We went to a restaurant called Bucaneros and had a delicious supper of chicken and steak, rice, and vegetables. We also had a traditional Latin American dessert called Tres Leches, which means Three Milks. It is made out of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy whipping cream.

The restaurant is built into the side of a mountain, and the sides are all open, so you get a really awesome view of the surrounding countryside. There were a couple of mountains in the distance, one of which was the volcano we visited last Saturday. A lake or lagoon of some sort spread out below us, and a sunset greeted us in the distance.

After supper, we came back to the base and watched the video I put together. I have spent most of my time on this trip shooting hundreds of photos and a couple hundred minutes of video footage. Because I traveled from site to site, I didn’t have a specific site leader. I talked to everyone and got a very broad overview of the trip. I felt a little isolated and very extraverted at the same time.

After we watched the video tonight, each site leader came up and talked about each student at their site. Each leader wrote a special note to each student on the backs of printed group pictures I had taken earlier this week. However, because I was behind the camera, I wasn’t in any of them. Lowell, the director here, snuck a picture of me, printed it off, and the site leaders that I spent the most time with gave it to me.

I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to take this trip. It’s been quite a ride, from training and talking about expectations, to finding out that we actually had them, and then coming together as a large group of people doing work for God. The food’s been great, the people greater, and God the greatest. To God be the glory.