Medical Outreach
I’ve been studying Spanish for a few years but before I came here, I hadn’t ever had to really rely on my Spanish speaking skills at all. This aspect of Nicaragua has not turned out to be what I expected! I was quite nervous about speaking in Spanish but I have been so surprised about how much I can understand, how great the conversations have been, and how kind and understanding the Nicaraguans have been about it and about everything else, too! The people of Nicaragua have truly touched my heart. I am a part of the medical outreach team on this trip and I know its with reason. My team is led by Doctor Celia. During the beginning of the day (from approximately 9am to 11:30am), we serve at the clinic where we mostly separate and organize medicine, spend a lot of time bonding as a team, and assist Dr. Celia with the needs of her patients. At about 11:30am, we leave the clinic and go to different towns in great need from noon to 4pm. There, those in need of healthcare are invited to come and see the doctor. For only 10 cordobas (approximately 42 cents in the U.S.), they receive a consultation with Dr. Celia and their medicines are completely free. Not only do they recieve a lot of the health care they need, but we get to interact with each other and uplift them and cheer them up and share the goodness of God. Its so important that we are here to do this because many of them have been unable to obtain the medicines and/or vitamins they need. The doctor told me that she hasn’t been able to go and meet the needs of these poor towns since November because the necessary transportation is difficult to find and because she needs others there to help her so that she can serve the large amount of people who show up. The people here have a high rate of parasites and other illnesses, mainly due to the lack of clean water (which is also linked to some of the unsanitary conditions). Today, the outreach site we’re all staying at with Students International¬† introduced one of their most important projects to us: water filtration! Here, it can be easily discerned who does and doesn’t have access to clean water by studying their health. Those who don’t have access, tend to repeatedly battle parasites and other illnesses and health issues. Those who do have access, don’t have this issue. Doctor Celia relys almost solely on donated medicines (which mainly consists of sample sizes) and medical supplies.

Please keep her, her outreach, and the people of Nicaragua in prayer.

Dios le Bendiga,
Michelle RS. Denning