The world lost a visionary today.  Steve Jobs, former CEO of Apple Inc. passed away after years of health challenges.  But his vision extended beyond the walls of technology.  Over the past couple of decades he gave us much to think about in regards to life and business.

From all indications, he was well liked by the company he led, he was a trendsetter in the world of technology, and his creative mind poured over into Apple’s approach towards personal computing. He will be missed but not forgotten.  Under his tutelage, Jobs ushered in new approaches to technology that have forever changed our daily interactions and normal life, even for the common man.

In recent years Apple became a trusted vendor utilized by Greenville College.  Their quality products and applications presented new opportunities for our students and employees.  By providing flexible technology solutions, cost-effective options, and personal attention through our sales representatives and systems engineers, Apple is helping us accomplish our institutional mission.  To that end, when school administrators were looking at how to commend employees on a job well done and encourage growth in the area of technology and teaching, GC chose to provide all employees an iPad with instructions to go play, learn, and create.  I think Steve Jobs would have approved.

In honor of Steve Jobs I present some of his key quotes over the past several years:

“It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”

“Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?”

“That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”

“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”

“I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what’s next.”

“But it’s a disservice to constantly put things in this radical new light — that it’s going to change everything. Things don’t have to change the world to be important.”

“When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: ‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”

“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure — these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”
“Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me … Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.”

Goodnight, Mr. Jobs.